Marriages and Name Changes

Individuals are able to assume a partner’s name immediately after getting married without any formal procedures. It is not necessary to register a name change. In such situations, both the maiden name and new name of a person will be recognised. When changing names on bank statements for example, a marriage certificate will be sufficient evidence to validate the change. Passports can remain unchanged and carry a maiden name. However for those wanting to record a name change officially, an application can be made to Births, Deaths and Marriages by making a statutory declaration and completing a name change form.
Read More